Monday, July 23, 2012

Peregrines of Niagara



Amazing location, and even more
 amazing birds of prey!




These falcons are indeed spectacular.  Special thanks to all of my recent 7 guests, who have joined me for a tour of this awesome location.  Niagara Falls is pretty amazing as it is, so much to see and do, but add these birds, and you really have something. 

We start early in the morning, before sun up, and find as many birds as we can, they perch at several key locations, so we can keep an eye of them, hoping for a flight.  

The use the updrafts to gain altitude, and soar in the sky, looking for prey.  Catching a glimps of them in a dive is more then awesome, and virtually impossible to photography.



What a sight!

A peregrine can dive at speeds up to 200 mile per hour.  During the last 2 weeks of workshops to this location, I have seen at least 10 dives.  The last one was only 10 feet in front of me, when a juvenile attacked a ring-billed gull., and no way could I catch a shot!

I hope to have another try with these birds, so in case your interested, just email me here, and we can make plans.





Thanks for looking!
(please click on the images for a larger view!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting a comment.. ray@raymondbarlow.com